Thursday, March 15, 2012

I'll miss..

Last week I bought a plane ticket back to the states. I'll be back on US soil on April 24th. What a trip this has been! I can't believe I have been living in Thailand for nine months. This is the longest I've been away from home.

I have found that since I made my decision to come home, I am getting increasingly excited and eager to return. On a camping trip to Khao Yai national park, Lisa and I spent a good chunk of time reminiscing about our hometown, Arlington. We talked out the beautiful drives down the highway, the delicious spread of ethnic restaurants, malls, you name it-we covered it.

I've also been spending a good chunk of time marveling at the complexities and beauty of Bangkok.  This is easy to do when you spend a large amount of time in transit. (Bangkok is notorious for the heavy traffic. All day, every day.) I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to visit this country many times, but it is a completely different experience living here. Sometimes, I feel like I have it all. Thailand is often advertised as paradise, and I certainly believe it is. Warm weather, delicious food, beautiful beaches with clear water, fields of wild sunflowers--this place is amazing.  Thus, I've decided to write down and record the things that I will and will not miss about Thailand.

What I wont miss:
1.The overcrowded BTS (sky train) during rush hour.

2. Thai banking.
-count your blessings Americans, we have a great banking system. I'll never take it for granted again.

3. Pollution

4. Traffic

5. Playing Frogger in the streets with traffic

6. Teeny-tiny Thai clothes.
 -It's incredibly difficult to find anything that isn't a size 00 here.

7. Having to drink bottled water all the time. Being leery of ice.

9. Health care. Just not feeling it. Hasn't been working out very well.

10. Art and craft supplies stores.


What I will miss:
1. Buying local produce for pennies.
-Being able to buy a whole bag of tropical fruit for less than a dollar on every street corner.
- Being able to buy a fresh coconut any day of the week.

2. The respect for teachers.
-Teachers are held in high esteem here, unlike in the States. When someone finds out that you are a        teacher they become very humbled and are extremely gracious. There are also numerous restaurant and  bar discounts for teachers.

3. My students
- I've yet to hold a full time teaching position in the states, so I can't really compare...but Thai kids LOVE their teachers. They are constantly running from down the hallway or across the school grounds just to say hello and give me a hug.

4. Teaching barefoot
-I've explained this one in the blog already.

5. Street life
-Every Thai street is active. Bustling with people; Thais and foreigners alike amble down sois (streets) filled with eclectic vendors. You can buy almost anything; fragrant jasmine garlands, tropical fruit, knock off DVDS, the list could go on forever. To paint you a better picture, imagine a sidewalk lined with stands of all sizes and goods, with street dogs wandering around aimlessly, students in school uniforms and motorcycle taxis roaring through the whole crowd. Get ready for sensory overload.

6. Motorcycle Taxis.
-Sorry Mom. I know you hate it, but I love it. Traveling via motorcycle gives me the opportunity to soak in all of these visuals and be in the open air.

7. Transport in general
-I have taken advantage of every type of transportation here. From tuk-tuks to the sky train. The city provides numerous ways to get around.

8. The beaches
-Every Thai beach I have been to the water is crystal clear. I can't even imagine what I'll think the next time I set my eyes on ocean waters on the east coast.

9. Buckets

10. The weather
-From monsoon rains to hot hot hot heat. I survived a natural disaster this trip!

11. Thai culture in general.
-Tons of cool stuff going on. Beautiful temples that sparkle in the moonlight. Monks walking around the city barefoot.

12. Rooftop parties.
-Incredible sights.


See you soon America!

No comments:

Post a Comment