Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Classroom Activities

As my students are preparing towards a teeny tiny test in the next few days, I think fondly about last week's fun activities. On Wednesday I was successful in pulling off another screening of Muzzy. Muzzy is an animated film language course targeted towards young learners. The BBC film series provides the opportunity for children to learn various languages such as English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, etc. I am a huge fan of the film as I grew up watching both the Spanish and French options. The characters are likable and the bluish green monster, Muzzy is reminiscent of the Cookie Monster in Sesame Street.

This is the second time I have been able to utilize technology within the classroom. Two rooms in the building can be booked in advance for use. Each of these rooms host a projector and a screen. While this is far off from my experience with a Promethean Board during my student teaching (I was so spoiled!) it is so wonderful to be able to use technology in the classroom again. Once I realized I could, I was eager to bring in clips and short films for my young students. As an adult, it is so clear to me how programs such as Sesame Street and Muzzy are so successful in introducing new concepts and engaging children in learning.Therefore I am determined to show the rest of the Muzzy series to my class throughout the year, as I feel it will be a great resource for leaning English as a second language.

Other fun stuff we did last week. I had mentioned in my last post that I was planning a Eric Carle lesson. After reading,"The Very Hungry Caterpillar," my students reviewed the prepositions of place we had been learning and applied the new vocabulary to a very cute project. Here are some pics of some of the great work that came out of class!










No comments:

Post a Comment